I was reading and interesting article about the benefits of turfgrass this morning. I wanted to share the highlights with you. The article was from the Lawn Institute. If you want to read the entire article, here is the link: http://www.thelawninstitute.org/environment/?c=184513
Here are some of the benefits of a healthy lawn -
- A well maintained lawn and landscape can enhance the "curb appeal" adding as much as 15 percent to the value of a home.
- Turfgrass traps and removes dust and dirt from the air.
- Turfgrass acts as a natural filter, reducing pollution by purifying the water passing through its root zone.
- 2,500 square feet of lawn absorbs carbon dioxide from the atmosphere, and releases enough oxygen for a family of four to breathe.
- On a hot summer day, lawns will be 30 degrees cooler than asphalt and 14 degrees cooler than bare soil.
- The front lawns of eight houses have the cooling effect of about 70 tons of air conditioning. That's amazing when the average home has an air conditioner with just a three or four ton capacity.
- The cooling effect of irrigated turf reduces the amount of fuel that must be burned to provide the electricity which powers the air conditioners.
- Watered when the grass plant needs it, turfgrass will very efficiently and effectively use almost every drop.
Have a super week!